Avoiding the Pitfalls of Selling Your Used Car Online
by SnapAutos Dec 8, 2022 Blog 2022
Selling a used car online would seem to be easier than selling to a private party. But when it comes to your car to a dealer, there’s a lot to consider.
Though it’s easy, you could easily get fleeced when it comes to car pricing and actual cash offer if you don’t know what to watch out for.
With that in mind, we’ve listed four common pitfalls to watch out for during the car selling process. We’ve got you covered, from assessing potential buyers to getting a car valuation right and signing a bill of sale!
4 Pitfalls to Avoid When Selling Your Car Online
Think you’re ready to sell your car? We love to hear it! Still, there’s a lot involved during every step, from finding your car’s value to getting your car all cleaned up.
SnapAutos has the details below. Here are four traps you don’t want to fall into.
1. Not Knowing What to Look Out For
…When Selling to a Dealer
Selling your car to the dealership might seem like the easiest option, but is it the best? Often, dealers will work to get maximum ROI.
The National Automobile Dealer’s Association has a lot of lobbying power and dealerships have long controlled the market for used cars. We’re not going to say selling to a dealer is inconvenient – but the question is at what cost?
Spoiler alert: The answer isn’t one you’ll like…So do your research about what your car is really worth and stand firm when selling to a dealer.
…When Selling to a Private Buyer
On the other hand, selling your car to a private buyer, such as on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, can be a whole dog-and-pony show:
- You have to analyze market conditions to figure out what your car is worth and set a price
- You have to get all the right forms in order to comply with state laws surrounding car sales.
- You may even have to pay for a vehicle history report to show the buyer and let them test-drive your vehicle without knowing their driving record – yikes!
In the end, there’s no guarantee that a private party sale will even occur – the buyer could walk before they buy your car! So be sure to have your ducks in a row and stay organized if you sell your car to a private party. As Kelley Blue Book reminds us, don’t forget to watch out for scams!
2. Not Getting Your Car Detailed
People looking to sell their car sometimes think that because the transaction is done online, they should avoid having their car washed or detailed. Not so! You still want to get those crusty crumbs out from underneath the seats and put a new coat of wax on the paint.
3. Not Negotiating
In a dealership or private party setting, you’re not going to want to take the first offer on the table.
One of the nice things about selling your car to SnapAutos is that we are not a dealership and we do not sell cars! Therefore, our priority is to get you top dollar for your trade. When you sell with us, this pitfall doesn’t apply because you know you’ll get a no-haggle price upfront. Simple!
4. Not Knowing Your Car’s Worth
Be sure to use a trade-in valuation tool like Kelley Blue Book or Edmund’s Value My Trade to get your car’s estimated market value.
We offer our own tool for that purpose! In fact, unlike our competitors, we’re not a car dealership, and we don’t sell cars. That means our process is designed to maximize the amount of money you receive for your vehicle.
Selling your car is hard, but it doesn’t have to be. Let us help you get the most for your vehicle without all the hassle.
- Six Factors Affecting Your Car’s Value When Selling It Online
- What paperwork do I need to sell my car in Oklahoma City?
- Step-By-Step Guide on How to Sell a Car Online with Snapautos
- Factors Affecting Your Car’s Value When Selling Online
- Avoiding the Pitfalls of Selling Your Used Car Online
- How Do I Get the Best Price While Selling My Car
- Selling Your Car in The Oklahoma City Area
- Pros & Cons of Trying to Sell Your Car Yourself
- How To Price Your Used Car to Sell
- Tips and Tricks for Estimating Your Car’s Value Online